Thursday, April 26, 2012

Chicago Art

Well, another Art Chicago has come and gone and I'm glad that I attended again this year. I'm tempted to say that Art Chicago is the best art fair that I visit all year, but I won't go that far. However, it's very well executed, the people are nice and of course, the art is great. From the moment you approach the elevators in the Merchandise Mart, security guards guide you on your trip to the 12th floor. Also the gallery layout plan is easy to follow and I never get lost when I'm there, which is way more than I can say for some other top international art fairs. On the downside, Art Chicago tends to be more conservative; less risky. I didn't see anything this year that challenged me. I'm not talking about "shock value." I was looking for something that "pushed the envelope" or pushed art forward. I didn't see it. Believe me ... I combed every aisle and every gallery. I also didn't see it downstairs on the 7th floor at the Next Art Fair for emerging artists. Next tends to be sophomoric and "art school confidential," if you will. Obviously, the work of these up and coming artists isn't as polished as their counterparts upstairs, but the energy and optimism is undeniable. However, I must say that I think Next needs to be tightened up a bit. I love the fact that Next is very approachable and the intimidation factor is indeed five notches lower than the lofty Art Chicago. However, Next needs to remind the students that it's an important venue and presentation and professionalism are just as important as the art itself. Trust me, I attend these fairs every year and I see how they work. Ultimately, I think it's important that people attend. They're trade shows for living art. They give people a chance to see the wide variety of talent and price points out there. Also, a few dealers told me that sales are picking up. That's good news for the economy, but they say this coming summer will be the true test. In short, if you love art, you shouldn't miss Art Chicago. Next!

No comments:

Post a Comment